Full Stack Developer
SCROLL DOWN TO APPLY
Verse are a vibrant team with a focus on research-led design and user experience supported by outstanding technical capability. We’re looking for an accomplished Senior full stack developer to join our growing team.
The full stack developer will be responsible for bringing digital experiences to life, collaborating, supporting and managing mid and junior developers. Delivering outstanding projects with everything from basic landing pages right through to huge international e-commerce solutions.
You should bring an eye for detail, a willingness to learn as well as being self-motivated to streamline process and add real value to the role in Verse through team collaboration, clear communication and technical ambition. We’re a small agile team which means there is the opportunity to make the role your own and grow with us.
You are not only a team player, you’re also a leader and understand just how important it is to collaborate and form a shared, clear vision for the success of your role and development of you and your colleagues. You’re fun to be around and ambitious, you find joy in the detail that makes your work stand out. We’re looking for a like-minded individual with a creative outlook and a passion for problem solving with commercial awareness. You have an ability to communicate effectively between technical and non-technical stakeholders.
You can adapt quickly to unfamiliar code environments. You have understanding of ‘legacy’ code and programming methodologies. Strong problem-solving skills, willingness to take ownership, and enthusiasm in the face of technical challenges.
You have experience in building full web applications, turning user interface designs into high quality frontend code and configuring API integrations with our backend systems.
Role and Responsibilities
This is a team-based role, where the project work is varied and shared amongst other developers so you will not just be focused on one part of the process. As such, being able to see the big picture and work collaboratively is critical whilst delegating and supporting mid/junior developers too.
- Champion and advocate for valid, best practice use of technologies and platforms to innovate and challenge the norm to drive business benefit.
- Ability to work with both front and back end technologies & platforms that suit the project requirements, including but not limited to Craft, EE, React, Node, PHP, Symfony, Wordpress and MySQL plus understanding of hosting environments.
- Be open to learning and championing new technologies & platforms as required by the project and/or the business. Able to effectively conduct training for other team members.
- Lead the entire web development life cycle, and delegate effectively to your co-developers. From evaluation, quote and concept stage to delivery of a project within budget and agreed timescales.
- Work alongside Sales and AM’s to provide prospective quotations and estimates against deliverables in a timely manner.
- Convey effectively with all task progress, evaluations, suggestions, schedules along with highlighting any technical and process issues
- Coordinate with co-developers and keeps project manager well informed of the status of development effort and serve as key liaison between technical and project manager.
- To be a part of stand up calls with clients and be able to talk through potentially complex work to aid with client understanding.
- Keep abreast of new trends and best practices in web development
- Put in place uniform coding practices.
- Proactively manage projects staying ahead of budgeted hours.
- Raising any concerns or blockers accordingly as far in advance as possible.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required
Skills and Experience
Great understanding and experience of the following:
- Git and / or other source control tools
- Deployment tools i.e. TeamCity or DeployHQ
- Progressive web apps (Responsive web apps)
- Experience of RESTful Web Services
- Hosting environment setup and database technology e.g. MySQL
- Backend API integrations
- Familiar with project management tools and best practices for communication e.g. Jira, Asana, Trello
- Accessibility best practices
- Experience of these languages / frameworks / services would be an advantage:
- DevOps experience setting up reliable and scalable environments
- Cloud platform experience - e.g. AWS
- Container orchestration experience - e.g. Docker
- Craft, Expression Engine and/or Symfony experience
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and the importance of ensuring this is fully considered from the onset of a project
- Excellent interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching and development skills
- Communicate regularly within your team and among your peers
- Excellent organisation and planning.
- Effectively and accurately delegate workload amongst the team to successfully achieve deliverables within client SLA’s.
- Effectively manage work scoping/task pointing amongst the team and Project Managers.
- Proven ability to manage a workforce in an output focused environment
- Make business decisions that are financially responsible, accountable.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required
Hours, Pay and Other Perks
This position is expected to be full time to work 37.5 hours a week over 5 days. Our standard office hours are 8:30am to 5pm however we are open to discussion on this.
Salary: £28,000.00 - £32,500.00 per year
But that’s not all, we also have some lovely perks:
* Holiday allowance - 33 days including Bank Holidays
* Workplace pension scheme
* Free tea and coffee, sometimes biscuits….
* Lots of discounts at restaurants, shops and experiences.
* Company provided Christmas & Summer party
* (Bi-)Monthly team social night
* £100 headphones budget once probation period is completed
Closing date is midnight on Tuesday, 2nd January 2020.